CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Talkin' Jack

So, I don't post very often but I thought I'd add something to Misty's blog. When I do, it's usually quite long, so I apologize for so many words and no pictures!

Contrary to this post's title, Jack really isn't "talking" yet, but he's doing a pretty good job communicating in his own variety of Sign Language. For those of you looking to "Talk Jack", here's a translation key:

1. "More" - traditionally signed by tapping one's fingertips together. Jack: clap your hands vigorously with fully extended arms. In Jack Talk, this also means "I want", "give me", and "I like".
2. "Please" - traditionally signed by rubbing one's chest in a circle. Jack: grab your arm with your other hand and squeeze repeatedly. (Misty tried teaching him this one by holding his arm and demonstrating the motion.) In Jack Talk, this also means "I want", "give me", "hold me", "let me do it". This sign is now the preferred sign for Jack trying to get what he wants.
3. "Thank You" - touch your chin with your fingertips and swing your arm forward. Jack: open your mouth, say "Ah" and bop your palm against your mouth making low volume Indian war-cry noises. A variant of this is a single "Bwah" resembling blowing a kiss. Usually said before receiving something, while receiving something, and after receiving something.
4. "Water" - form the letter W with your first 3 fingers and bring to your mouth, extended fingers up, pinky side away from you. Jack: open your mouth, say "Ah" and bring your open hand to your mouth with all fingers extended up and thumb extended towards the body. This also means "drink" of any kind.
5. "Milk" - make a fist, thumb extended up, hold it up and open and close the fist repeatedly. Jack: make the sign correctly, but don't use it more than once every two months, just to frustrated them. Instead, use "Water" and "Drink".
6. "Drink" - a proper sign hasn't been taught. Jack: pucker your lips and make a sucking motion and smacking sound. This usually means "I want to drink want you're drinking whether its from a full cup or a straw, and whether its water or a forbidden brown, bubbly drink, and I will usually spill it on myself and backwash into your drink." Usually accompanied with "Please".
7. "Sleep" - place your palm on your cheek, and maybe tilt your head. Jack: place your palm anywhere on your head -- check, neck, hair, ear, forehead -- except nose and eyes. All are equivalent.
8. "Bye" - Jack: Wave your hand, wrist limp, repeatedly. Said whenever somebody comes, goes, or moves from room to room.
9. "Music" - extend one arm forward and wave the other hand back and forth above the extended arm. Jack: extend one arm forward and wave it from side to side. Also means "let me turn on and hold my lullaby box" and "turn on the radio".
10. "Eat" - bring your closed fingertips to your mouth and tap. Jack: say "Nmnmnmnm", sign "please", yell or shriek loudly, and/or sometimes sign "drink".
11. "No" - present your closed fingertips in front of you, palm towards you. Jack: don't stop what you're doing, and reply back "NNaAAAHnnNaaAH NAH!"
12. "Daddy" - Jack: say "Dadda dada dadadd dadadaddad"
13. "Mommy" - Jack: say "Dadda dada dadadd dadadaddad" or "Nannan nananaan". See also "No".

Jack can also tell you where his "hair" is. Sometimes he will show you where his "nose", "mouth" and "ears" are, but sometimes they're in the same place as his hair. "Hair" also means soft, as in a response to "Ouch, Jack, that hurts; be SOFT" -- Jack's response: "Hair". Jack can also show you "dance" when music is playing, which usually involves bending your knees and bouncing and making "ahAAAHaaahAAAHHhhAAAAAhhh" sounds.

Jack's most commonly used sign or gesture is definitely the "cheesy smile" accompanied by the sound "Eeeeh". This means "I'm having fun running around", "I'm doing something naughty", or "Look at me!" He likes to giggle and to show his cheesy smile, and, as those of you who have played with Jack know, it's quite contagious.

1 comments:

Fonzareli said...

This was a really helpful post for me!! I work with a little boy at school that is hearing impared and uses alot of sign language.(Me..not so much) I figured out from this post that he was actually asking me for more milk the other day at lunch. THANKYOU!!!!